Top Airlines Offering Cheap Flights to Chennai, India
Several airlines are renowned for consistently offering cheap flight tickets to Chennai. These carriers prioritize value, allowing travelers to explore this beautiful city without incurring excessive costs.
Although direct flights to Chennai might not be readily available at the moment, here are the top airlines known for offering the most affordable one-stop and two-stop flight options to this vibrant Indian destination.
Find Major Airports in Chennai
Chennai, the capital city of Tamil Nadu, India, has one primary airport, Chennai International Airport (MAA). This airport is located about 21 kilometers from the city center and offers both international and domestic flights. Here is other information about the airport that can help you plan your travels accordingly:
Chennai International Airport (MAA)
Chennai International Airport boasts three terminals catering to domestic and international travel. It serves as a hub for IndiGo, Blue Dart Aviation, and SpiceJet, with Air India and GoAir designating it as a focus city. The airport offers a wide range of flights, making Chennai easily accessible from various global cities. Ground transportation options include taxis, app-based cab services, auto-rickshaws, and public transport, facilitating convenient access to Chennai’s popular attractions like Marina Beach, Kapaleeshwarar Temple, and the Government Museum.
Flights to Chennai Snapshot
TOTAL NUMBER OF ECONOMY CLASS DEALS TO Chennai IN THE LAST MONTH
AVERAGE ONEAIR INTERNATIONAL ECONOMY ROUNDTRIP DEAL TO Chennai
TOTAL NUMBER OF BUSINESS CLASS DEALS TO Chennai IN THE LAST MONTH
AVERAGE ONEAIR INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS CLASS ROUNDTRIP DEAL TO Chennai
The Cheapest Time to Fly to Chennai
The best times to visit Chennai are during the pre-monsoon (February to May) and post-monsoon (September to November) periods for pleasant weather. However, these are peak tourist seasons, so book your trip well in advance or keep an eye out for deals and discounts.
Consider the monsoon season (June to August) for cheaper flights and accommodations, even though it’s rainy. Regardless of the weather, you can explore indoor attractions like the Government Museum and Kapaleeshwarar Temple.
Cheapest months to fly
Most Expensive Months to Fly
Here’s a breakdown of plane tickets to Chennai when flying from New York:
No Data Found
Frequently Asked Questions
What’s the best time to visit Chennai?
The cheapest month to fly to India from the United States is usually March. However, it’s important to note that prices can vary depending on the airline, departure location, and time of year.
Additionally, Chennai hosts several major festivals and events throughout the year that might impact your travel plans. Here are a few notable ones:
- Pongal (January): Pongal, a four-day harvest festival celebrated in mid-January, is a significant and ancient tradition in Chennai, dedicated to honoring the Sun God for an agricultural prosperity. The festivities include traditional music, dance, and delectable Pongal delicacies, starting with Bhogi when houses are cleaned and colorful rangolis are created. While the last two days, Mattu Pongal and Kanum Pongal, involve further rituals and social events, it’s worth noting that this period sees higher flight and accommodation costs due to increased tourist activity.
- Navaratri (September/October): Navaratri, a nine-day festival in Chennai, is dedicated to worshipping Hindu goddess Durga and her nine avatars. The city comes alive with cultural and religious activities, including music, dance, and arts performances, as people dress in traditional attire to participate in these festivities. Although it’s a fantastic opportunity to experience the city’s vibrant culture, it’s essential to anticipate busier airports and potentially higher travel expenses during this period, so plan your travel dates and bookings accordingly.
- Diwali (October/November): Diwali, the Festival of Lights, is a significant Hindu celebration observed with great enthusiasm in Chennai during October or November. The city dazzles with illuminated decorations, cultural events, and fireworks as people light diyas and candles and decorate their homes with rangolis. However, it’s essential to be aware that this festive period can be hectic for travel, with potential price surges, so planning ahead is advisable.
- Chennai Music and Dance Festival (December): The Chennai Music and Dance Festival, also known as the December Season, is a grand celebration of classical music and dance in South India, lasting five weeks at various venues across Chennai. This event draws artists and performers from around the world, making it one of the largest cultural festivals globally. To ensure a smooth visit during this vibrant period, it’s advisable to book accommodations and flights well in advance due to the high demand.
How long is the flight to Chennai?
The flight duration when flying to Chennai can fluctuate based on your departure city and the number of stops in your itinerary. Here are estimated flight times from major US cities to Chennai:
- New York City (NYC) to Chennai (MAA): Approximately 20 hours and 15 minutes.
- Miami (MIA) to Mumbai (BOM): Approximately 25 hours and 20 minutes.
- San Francisco (SFO) to Mumbai (BOM): Approximately 24 hours and 35 minutes.
- Boston (BOS) to Mumbai (BOM): Approximately 21 hours and 15 minutes.
- Los Angeles (LAX) to Chennai (MAA): Approximately 21 hours and 10 minutes.
It’s important to note that these are approximate times and may vary due to factors such as airline choice, specific routes, and weather conditions. When planning your trip, be sure to consider potential airport wait times and the possibility of delays.
What are the airports operating flights to Chennai?
The main airports operating flights to Chennai from USA are John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) in New York, Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD) in Washington, D.C., Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) in Los Angeles, Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL) in Atlanta, Chicago O’Hare International Airport (ORD) in Chicago, San Francisco International Airport (SFO) in San Francisco, and Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR) in Newark.
Which airlines fly from the United States to Chennai?
Several airlines offer cheap flight tickets to Chennai India, from the United States. Some of the prominent airlines providing this include Air India, American Airlines, Emirates, Lufthansa, and Qatar Airways.
When booking your flight from the United States to Chennai, it’s essential to consider factors such as the airline, departure city, and layover options. These considerations will help you select the most convenient and suitable flight for your travel plans.